Nestled in the heart of Iowa’s Lake Country, Polk City, Iowa combines the best of small town living, outdoor activities, and big city convenience.
Located just 20 minutes north of Iowa’s capitol city Des Moines and 18 miles south of Ames, Polk City offers easy access to a wide range of cultural, educational, entertainment, and transportation centers. Residents and students can attend major colleges and universities such as Iowa State University, Drake University, Des Moines Area Community College, and Grandview College.
Shopping malls, skywalks, airport and bus stations, movie and dinner theaters are all close enough for Polk City residents to take advantage of, but far enough away to leave the noise and congestion behind.
Many of our residents work in Des Moines but have chosen to live in Polk City because of the quality of life they can enjoy here…
- affordable housing
- elementary school
- skilled fire and rescue personnel
- police protection
- local businesses that provide essential consumer goods and services
- daycare center and preschool
- low cost senior citizen housing
- nursing home
- town square (the only one in Polk County)
- businesses actively supporting economic development and growth